Saturday 10 March 2012

Owl Pop Up Card

The need arrived, to quickly whip up a card for the 1st Birthday of the son of a vague relation of ours- so this is the result


The Front
The Inside


The young man in question was having an owl cake, so I thought an owl card appropriate.


The Yellow corrugated card is making up for my lack of brown, but it was coloured with a brown pencil, It' just didn't come out on the photos that well, but it did make me realises it would make a great monkey card too.


so, here is how it went...


The background is just blue card, scored and folded in half.


Next was the green grass- If you had nice green paper you could use that, but I didn't have any so I printed a green and green striped photoshop texture, then I cut it with scollop scissors for the top.   I then coloured the corrugated card brown

 

I used photoshop to draw our little owls & I also did some very basic leaves &  black circle for the nook.


Here is the owl-feel free to use it

I was starting to run late now, so everything was getting rushed & we had to do part of it in the car.  

The larger piece of corrugated card was about 15cm wide- I folded it in half and used a printed circle as a template to cut the nook for the inside, then folded about a cm on each side back, so there would be something to glue to the card. I used PVA glue as I could put my hands on it quickly, but I would suggest sticky craft glue- we had to hold it there for ages!

Anyway, you need to glue the bent flaps you made either side of the fold in the blue card on the inside.


then it is just a matter of glueing leaves and owl on where you want them.  The owl wings were made from shapes cut out of printed owl coloured paper, but you could use foam or something to add a different texture (lots of texture for little kids).  Hats were little triangles of coloured paper (was actually made with dyed shaving cream, but thats another story) and a little confetti star glued on top.


For the front I printed a little plaque shape out and wrote a short message on it. To the back of that I attached some hemp twine I had lying around & I had planned to 'hang' it (decorativly, as still going to stick with tape) on one of those cute little decorative split pins- but I forgot to put the pin through before I glued the front of the card's tree trunk onto the card- do I just taped it.




Then the only other challenge is to arrange your leaves in a way that makes it look like the right type of tree & then find somewhere to write on it!

TA-DA

and considering I did everything after the tree trunks in a moving car, I think thats quite an achievement!