Friday 23 December 2011

one of my strange addictions- fonts


So, the first decision I am struggling to make with this blog is deciding what font I should use in my heading.  

I love fonts, - strange as my own writing is barley legible and could be considered to change 'font' and style every 20 letters or so - but for some reason I just love playing around with them.

I'm always looking for new fonts- here are some of my most resent favourites (not including the winner of the heading font competition) :


This one I assume came with my computer (I can't recall installing it specially at any rate). It's quite plain, bold and rounded- so it looks a little bubble like.


I installed this one a year or so ago. I loved it because it reminds be of the writing in the May Gibbs book Snugglepot and Cuddlepie- the gumnut babies.


Another very standard and slightly plain font, but fantastic because of its clarity and it still has great character.  There are a couple of varieties in the family, but Futura Light or Futurabook BT are my favourites.


I downloaded this one the other week (along with the next 3) when I was looking for a font to use on a calendar for a kids group and their parents.  The  capitals have a strange assortment of symbols from snowflakes to birds, which is occasionally useful and often slightly annoying, but the lower case characters are quite cute as well as being really clear to read.

I'm not sure if this is the actual font that has been used in some of the more recent Winnie the Pooh books/animations/merchandise etc.  but that is exactly what it reminds me of and it looks quite like it.


This is also a lovely clear font, very cute and readable. Its great because it isn't overdone, but is still full of character. Again, there are no symbols of capital letters, and instead capital characters come up blank, which slightly makes it impractical for regular semiformal use.  Again, one where I got distracted from my original purpose on a font website! oops!